Welcome to Roald Dahl
Mrs Kate Futcher
We understand how important you as parents are as partners in your child's education.
"Practise makes perfect" is our motto.
Whilst we fully appreciate everyone's increasingly busy lives, just 10 minutes reading every day does make a real difference and is also crucial for writing development.
Also, working on your child's mathematical development with the Key Instant Recall Facts (KIRFs) resources attached below, will make a great deal of difference to their knowledge, understanding and ability to apply that knowledge to problem solving.
Please encourage your child to practise their times tables (2s, 5s, 10s and 3s) and number bonds as these underpin their mental maths strategies.
- Read at least 4 times each week
- Please sign the reading log book so this can be monitored.
- Please encourage your children to learn the Common Exception words for Year 2 (attached resource).
Things to remember for school
- Please make sure that your child arrives promptly for school. Children can arrive from 8:30 but should be in class by 8:50 at the latest so that we can change reading books and choose lunches ready for a prompt 9:00 start.
- Please collect your child promptly at 3:15pm from the playground by the main entrance.
- We have PE throughout the week so please ensure that your chid's full kit (named) is in school every day (white t-shirt, black/navy blue shorts, plimsolls).
- Reading folders must be in school every day. We will check them every morning for any letters or reply slips being returned. Letters for you will be put in here so please check it every evening for any communications.
- Please listen to your child read as often as you can and make a comment in their reading diary (check out the top tips for reading with your child in the resources). Books will be changed once you indicate in the reading diary that the book has been read twice (each time they read at home they will receive a sticker for their chart). I track the children’s reading journey and reward each child with a small prize each time they completely fill their sticker chart. Please support your child by providing some quiet time to read every day and record their achievements in the reading diary.
- We are outside in all weathers so please provide your child with a waterproof coat every day.
Keep in Touch
We are always looking for parents to help us support children’s learning! If you think you could spare some time to help please let us know. You will be asked to complete a DBS check before coming in – the children’s safety is always our priority.
We recognise that children learn best when home and school work together and are always happy to talk to you. Please contact us in the way which suits you best: catch us at the end of the school day, make an appointment via the office, leave a letter in the home school records or email us. Our door is always open.